TGS Family Association

September 13, 2017

August 24, 2017 FA Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 11:25 pm

TGS Family Association

Agenda

Thursday, August 24, 2017

El Mirador Board Room

 

In attendance: Valerie Deitch, Lisa Wiedebush, Rose Schneider, Marie Maloney, Darcy Nagle-O’Brien, Anne Jie; Lee Anne Maier, Gabrielle Gonzalez, Steph Evic, Margaret Marino, Paula Allen, Monika Gloesslein; Dinah Dabdoub, Leslie Williams, Emeka Onuoha, Andrea Mainman, Elizabeth Haily, Amber Adil; Marcella Arizpuro, Celia Baver, Laura Swenson, Daria Lasala; Ilene Quander, Toni Esquibel, Cindy McDaniel, Claudine Messing; Jian Jun Zhu, Kimberlynn Drew, Cathryn Ramus, Jen Richardson, Ginger Hunt, Celia Baver, Becky Knope; Mary Laughbaum, Mary Babbit, Lori Patton, Julie Sherrill, Sarajane Trier.

 

Welcome & Introductions

Meeting was called to order at 8:58 a.m. by FA Co-President, Darcy Nagle-O’Brien. She welcomed all and began introductions around the room. Motion to approve the April 2017 meeting minutes was made and the minutes were approved.

 

Treasurer’s Budget Report

Treasurer, Valerie Deitch, gave her report. A total of about $11,000 was received at Registration. A few more contributions were expected to trickle in. An additional $45 was received from Basha. Both the 6th grade welcome party and registration were within budget.

 

Committee Reports

  • Homecoming (Co-chairs: Gabrielle Gonzales & Darlene Twiss)

Gabrielle introduced the history of and planning for Homecoming, which started in 2007 and is a great family event. This year’s Homecoming is planned for Friday, October 13th. The event will start at 4 p.m. with flag football at the soccer field and Upper School volleyball in the gym. There will be soccer under the lights in the Big Field, as well as other MS and US activities. There will also be a jumping gym and big slides. Gabrielle said that the biggest expense would be light rental. The FA also raised funds from the grill, shaved ice truck, and ice cream truck. The FA will work closely with Student Council. The next planning meeting will be at 11:45 a.m. on September 11th. Gabrielle asked for more parent volunteers and said that starting at the end of September and about three weeks before the event, signup sheets for one-hour shifts will go out. Décor parties will also be held over the next few weeks.

  • Hawk’s Pride (Chair: Amber Adil)

Amber Adil, the current chair, proudly showed her Hawk’s Pride T-shirt and stated that the goal of the committee was to support the school sports activities. Amber asked for an US parent to co-chair with her and welcomed more ideas. One of the popular things in the past was to decorate athletes’ lockers. Amber said that the best way to support our athletes would be coming out and cheering them in school sports.

  • Staff Appreciation (Chair: Andrea Mainman)

Andrea stated that the goal of the committee was to show appreciation for staff, including lunch in September and farmer market in October. Lunches have been popular. At the end of the semester, the committee would also give “a little something” to staff, including the security and ground maintenance staff. The budget would be $675 for 66 staff members. Attendees briefly discussed the new lunch service. It is possible for a parent or parents to show appreciation of a particular a staff person by selecting this person from the lunch order menu and ordering lunch for this person.

  • Upper School Rep (Elizabeth Goodwin)

Elizabeth introduced her role and solicited other parents to join her as an easy way to get involved. She said that 9th grade kick off was planned for the beginning of the year, but in the past such parties were not well attended. So the best is to save money for end of the year gathering. Elizabeth encouraged other parents to join her in planning.

  • Middle School Rep (Paula Allen)

Paula also emphasized that being a class rep was an easy and fun way to get involved in FA and kids. Both 5th and 6th have budgets for beginning of the year. There were over 100 parents and siblings attended last year’s 6th grades party. This year Ms. Nicole Newton held an unofficial event before school started and over 80 people attended. Eighth grade will also plan a similar event. Ms. Patton and Dr. Sherrill confirmed that there were over 14 new students in 6th grade this year. Paula said that there was nothing like family events that create community. She plans to gather MS reps in the following two weeks to discuss event planning.

A few parents shared their ideas. Kimberlyn Drewis a member of the Audubon Society and told attending parents about the Hummingbird Garden rotation on Friday. She also shared that the Audubon Society held classes in town as well. Anne Jie shared her daughters’ love for the farmyard. Paula shared that Mr. Clashman planned to have a butterfly garden near the farm.

  • Fine Arts (Co-Chairs: Leslie Heroes, Marie Maloney & Darlene Burrow)

Marie introduced the Fine Arts Committee and stated the goal of supporting the arts and drama departments. She shared that the US events planned for September 25th and 26th and fun activities, such as bake sales and locker décor. Marie encouraged those parents with kids who love arts to participate.

  • Shop & Give (Position Open)

Valerie Deitch (FA Treasurer) introduced the committee in the absence of a chair. The committee is to find ways to raise funds for FA through such programs, as Amazon Smiles (0.5% contribution), box tops, Basha grocery cards. For the last one, parents pay $5 for a preloaded $5 card and, if loading the card before any purchase, then part of the loaded balance would go to FA. Paula Allen shared that her Basha card gives $30 to FA for every $500 load. Attending parents discussed other sources of corporate contribution, including Mr. Car Wash (Becky Knope suggested possible 50%) and Mighty Nat (15%). Valerie wrapped up by soliciting for a chair person.

  • Winter Formal (Chair: Lisa Wiedebush)

Lisa said that Winter Formal was the only dance sponsored by FA and that she needed a 10th parent to co-chair. Lisa shared that this school year’s dance was planned for January 20, 2018 and that the venue has been donated by the Nolen Family, which would be the enclosed area in the Williams Center. Since the venue is donated, the ticket price could be lower. The DJ would likely be Satire.

  • Membership Committee (Chair: Ginger Hunt)

Ginger said that the committee was new this year. The goal would be to support all other committees, drumming up support and communicating activities. The committee will meet the first Tuesday of the month for breakfast (7:30 to 8:15) and discuss goals.

  • School Lunches

At the request of Ms. Amie Bergersen, Darcy Nagle-O’Brien asked parents to sign up as helpers on Signup Genius or contact Ms. Bergersen directly. More helps are needed for lunches. Darcy said that it would be a fun way to be on campus and get to know the kids. In addition, 10 cents per meal would go to FA.

 

Guest Speaker – Dr. Julie Sherrill

Dr. Sherrill introduced herself and two members of the Board of Trustees in attendance, Monika Gloesslein and Andrea Mainman. Dr. Sherrill said that since TGS is a nonprofit organization, the governing Board of Trustees has the responsibility of overseeing the school budget and strategic direction. Last year, under the direction of the Board, the school set the goal of increasing enrollment, instead of conducting fundraising activities, such as SIP. This school year 93 new families joined and enrollment is at 308, about 30 plus above last year’s figure. Dr. Sherrill said that the FA is an extension of the staff. Monika Gloesslein was a parent and Andrea Mainman was a past FA president. Dr. Sherrill encouraged other parents to participate in FA and welcome feedback. Dr. Sherrill emphasized that Ms. Patton, Ms. Babbitt and herself work together as a team and encourage parents to reach out if any concerns or questions arise. Despite of the increased enrollment, Dr. Sherrill emphasized that the school is committed to maintaining a low teacher-student ratio and promoting customized learning experience for all students. Dr. Sherrill briefly mentioned that MS and US Curriculum Nights and encouraged feedback from parents. Dr. Sherrill also urged parents to take advantage of the tax credit program. She also said that the school would continue monitoring the lunch program and welcome parents to work with the school administration to explore lunch options.

 

Board of Trustee Report

Monika Gloesslein introduced herself and briefly stated the Board of Trustee’s roles. She said that the Board would have a retreat on September 9th and report back on the next meeting.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:59 a.m.

 

TGS Family Association Executive Officers:

Marie Maloney, Co-President, mariemaloney@hotmail.com

Darcy Nagel-O’Brien, Co-President, darcy2@comcast.net

Rose Schneider, Vice President, gypsyrps@yahoo.com

Lisa Wiedebush, Nominating Chair, lisawiedebush@yahoo.com

Valerie Deitch, Treasurer, valeriedeitch@aol.com

Anne Jie, Secretary, jieanne@yahoo.com

 

Upcoming 2017-18 FA Meetings:

Thurs., Oct. 12 @  9-10 a.m. in El Mirador Board Room

Thurs., Dec. 7 @ 9-10 a.m. in El Mirador Board Room

Thurs., Jan. 18 @ 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.; location TBD

Thurs., Mar. 8 @ 9 – 10 a.m. in El Mirador Board Room

Thurs. May 3 @ 9 – 10 a.m. in El Mirador Board Room

June 20, 2017

April 13, 2017 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 4:43 pm

Family Association of The Gregory School

General Membership Meeting April 13, 2017

In attendance:   Paula Allen, Valerie Deitch,  Randi Dorman, Kimberlyn Drew, Monika Gloesslein, Elizabeth Goodwin,  Angie Goorman, Ginger Hunt, Becky Knope,  Christina Maher, Cindy McDaniel, Darcy Nagle-O’Brien,  Lori Patton,  Ilene Quander, Cathryn Ramus, Xavier Ramus, Rose Schneider,  Julie Schulick, Julie Sherrill, Laura Swenson, Sarajane Trier,  Patti Wisnom

Welcome and Introductions

The meeting was called to order at 8:50 a.m. by FA Co-President Christina Maher.   She welcomed all and said she was happy to see all here for the last FA meeting of the school year.  She began introductions around the room.   Minutes from the January 2017 meeting were available for those in attendance to review.  A motion was made and passed to approve the minutes from January meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer, Valerie Deitch, gave the treasurer’s report.   New income included Shop and Give income of $244.35, Staff Appreciation donation income of $285.00 and Winter Formal income of $3357.25.  Expenses included team support expenses of $98.27, Fine Arts expenses of $224.42, Winter Formal expenses of $2655.69, and Staff Appreciation expenses of $100.44.  

Committee Reports

Welcome Committee-Chair Ginger Hunt reported that she would like to use the Welcoming Committee Budget on a nice welcome letter from the FA with contact info and a small magnetic calendar for the fridge with days off school for the 2017/2018 school year.   She did not want to add any other dates, in case those change.  Many commented that this would be well appreciated.  

Homecoming-It was reported on behalf of this year’s chair, Gabrielle Gonzales, that Homecoming is set for October 13th, 2017.  The FA would like to invite members to consider serving as Chair or co-chair for this very fun event.  Also, please remember each team has $100 to spend on an end of season party.  Coaches appreciate parent help in planning.

Staff Appreciation– 8th and 9th grade parents are hosting a chili and cornbread lunch today for the Staff.  If anyone is interested in co-chairing this committee with Andrea Mainman, please let the Executive Committee know.

Middle School Parent Reps– Co-chair Darcy Nagle O’Brien reported that 5th grade will be having a Spring pool party on April 22nd at the McMahon family home from 3-7 p.m.   6th grade will be having an end of year party on April 29th at the Tucson Racquet Club, co-sponsored by Ilene Quander.  7th grade will be having an end of year party at Get Air on May 18th from 4-6 p.m.  8th grade will be having an end-of-year pool party at the Hazen Family home, directly following their Graduation ceremony on May 19th.

Upper School Parent Reps- Chair Elizabeth Goodwin reported that grades 9-11 are working on planning end of year parties.  12th grade will be having a family dinner immediately following Graduation, catered by Vero Amore.  They need volunteers to sign up to assist with this and Grad Night.  Chaperoning Grad Night is a way of paying it forward.  When your student is a senior, parents of other grade levels chaperone so that no seniors have their own parents hosting.  

Hawk’s Pride- Co-chair Angie Goorman reported that the Upper School Athletic Banquet will be April 18th at 6p.m. and to please RSVP.  It will be great to see Upper School Students and Families.    There was a fantastic atmosphere last year at the banquet.  The athletes will receive their letters.

Fine Arts-Co-chair Marie Maloney reported that the middle school play, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, was amazing. A chocolate fountain was purchased for school use and chocolate dipped goodies were served prior to the play. The Pirates of Penzance musical was a huge success as well. Parents of the cast and crew provided dinner for the dress rehearsals and 2 nights of the play. The committee is looking at ways to improve this process for next year.   It was discussed that parents would be happy to contribute to meals if the contributions could be smaller or they would be happy to arrange a meal if they had money to use.  It was also discussed that perhaps better communication was needed to MS parents regarding the rehearsal schedule for the Musical, especially during the week of the Musical. On senior night, the seniors were given flowers and treasure chests for their senior gifts and each senior were recognized by a member of the cast or crew. The treasure chests were made by Mrs. Bergersen in the Fab Lab during a Friday rotation. The Committee would like to make a donation to the Fab Lab on behalf of the Fine Arts Committee using Committee funds for their help with this project. The Fine Arts Committee purchased a box of foam boards from Michaels for locker decorations.  If any committee needs foam boards, please contact Marie as there are plenty of extras. The Upper School Fine Arts Festival is Friday April 28th. Marie and Leslie will check with Ms. Encilia to see what is needed.

Winter Formal-It was reported that the Winter Formal took place Saturday, January 21st from 8-11p.m. at Tohono Chul Park.  Students participation increased by 25 students this year.  Students enjoyed great music, the DJ, the beautiful setting, and the turn out.  Tohono Chul gave the FA a great discount.  Also, the committee did not spend hours setting up, as the Tohono Chul staff did this as part of the package.  Special thanks to Lisa Wiedbush for creating the spectacular centerpieces.  They looked like globes with light up crystals inside.  Thanks so much as well to Faculty and Staff who chaperoned.  

Shop and Give- Shop and Give is a way to donate a percent of sales towards the Family Association for purchases you normally make.  There was discussion about how beneficial Basha’s/AJ’s program is for Shop and Give.   They donate 6% to the Family Association.  $5 re-loadable gift cards are still available for purchase.  You can ask any FA Executive Committee member for one.    It was discussed that is was great to be able to tell a new group of parents about this at the evening FA meeting.  

 

Board Report

Board of Trustees President, Patti Wisnom, reported that the BOT remains focused on retention and recruitment.  They have two meetings left before year end.  The BOT is supporting the great team that runs the school and is excited about the current energy among the Faculty and students.

Head of School Update

Dr. Sherrill announced that The Gregory School is featured in the latest Tucson Lifestyle magazine.  TGS is featured in the Faces of Tucson 2017 Private Schools.   The new automated enrollment system has provided many benefits including building the schedule, budget and staffing.  For the 2017/2018 school year, Dr. Sherrill announced that the school is expecting over 300 students which is the key number for the budget to break even.  She expects a retention rate of over 70% of 8th graders going into 9th grade.  Three students are switching schools, three families are undecided still, and one family is relocating out of Tucson.  The school also has 15 new applications for 9th grade.  On the ‘match’ day for the scholarship fund, $41,000.00 was raised.  The school is only $17,000 short of its Annual Fund goal.  $11,000 was raised with the matching campaign for the FAB LAB.  Recently, Dr. Sherrill had to speak to the Upper School students about the privilege of going to TGS means they have a responsibility to make appropriate decisions.  The Administration will handle any reporting of inappropriate behavior discretely.  She thanked Cindy and Ryan McDaniel for hosting the senior dinner at their home.  Each faculty member will speak about a student.  She thanked the Executive Committee for their work on the FA and will more formally thank them on the evening of the MS Expo.

Announcements

-The RMACAC Spring College Fair is on April 29th at TGS.  This is a community event with over 90 colleges represented.  By attending, you can easily become a part of various colleges contact base.  The event includes breakout sessions.  

The meeting was adjourned at 10:06 a.m.

 

 

 

 

April 10, 2017

January 12, 2017 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 4:46 pm

Family Association of The Gregory School

General Membership Meeting January 12, 2017

In attendance:   Paula Allen, JR Bergantino, Tamar Bergantino,  Sonja Darcangelo, Valerie Deitch,  Kimberlyn Drew, Lisa Gardner,  Angie Goorman, Peter Gruenstein, Marketa Jansky, Anne Jie,  Christina Maher, Andy Moore, Darcy Nagle-O’Brien,  Linda Naifeh, Belinda Oden, Sonja Petersen,  Ilene Quander, Troy Quander, Sri Ramakumar,  Jen Richardson, Alicia Saposnik, Rose Schneider,  Julie Sherrill, David Sprayberry, Laura Swenson, Sarajane Trier,  Patti Wisnom

Welcome and Introductions

The meeting was called to order at 6:04 p.m. by FA Co-President Christina Maher.   She welcomed all and stated that the meeting was being conducted in the evening to try to give working parents another option for attend.   Minutes from the November 2016 meeting were available for those in attendance to review.  A motion was made and passed to approve the minutes from the November meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer, Valerie Deitch, gave the treasurer’s report.   New income included Shop and Give income of $224.80 and Staff Appreciation donation income of $2490.00.  Expenses included 12th grade class reps of$1000, team support expenses of $100, fine arts expenses of $366.45, Winter Formal expenses of $537.50, and Staff Appreciation expenses of $2200.00.

Committee Reports

Homecoming-Homecoming is set for October 13th, 2017.

 Staff Appreciation– The next Teacher Appreciation event is a luncheon hosted by 7th and 10th parents on February 16th.  The reps are beginning planning.

Middle School Parent Reps– Co-chairs Darcy Nagle O’Brien reported on behalf of Co-chair Elisabeth Contreras.   6th grade class reps have scheduled their end of year party for April 29th at the Tucson Racquet Club.

Upper School Parent Reps- No report was given.

Hawk’s Pride- Co-chair Angie Goorman reported that there will be a raffle for those wearing Holiday garb to the last home game prior to break.  The basketball program will debut on January 19th.  Good luck tokens for Upper School will be presented on Tuesday, January 17th for the away game against St. David Tigers.  Middle School soccer will be presented with good luck soon.  Upper School Spring Sports begins February 6th.  They include boys’ volleyball, track, tennis and golf.  Middle School boys’ and girls’ basketball begins February 9th.   The Upper School Athletic Banquet will be April 18th.  For the Hawk Walk, thus far, only 24 were registered and they are hoping for 300.  So far, there are 7 volunteers and they need 37.  The Hawk Walk is a fun experience and raises a lot of money for Athletics.

Fine Arts-It was reported that Co-chairs Leslie Heros and Marie Maloney will be supporting the Middle School play, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, on February 17th, by obtaining a chocolate fountain.  The school musical, Pirates of Penzance, will take place March 24-26th.

Welcome Committee-No report was given.

Winter Formal-It was reported that the Winter Formal will take place Saturday, January 21st from 8-11p.m. at Tohono Chul Park.  Students are excited to go because it will be totally fun with great music, delicious desserts, a beautiful setting, and time to be with friends, as no ‘dates’ are necessary.  Tickets will be on sale Friday, January 13th.  Look for the ‘dance and donuts’ table outside the dining hall.  Tickets cost $40 and will also be available at the front desk.

Shop and Give- Shop and give is a way to donate a percent of sales towards the Family Association for purchases you normally make.  There was discussion about how beneficial Basha’s/AJ’s program is for Shop and Give.   They donate 6% to the Family Association.  $5 re-loadable gift cards are still available for purchase.  You can ask any FA Executive Committee member for one.

Senior Night-The Seniors will be having a tailgating party on February 2nd.   There will be footballs, basketballs, easy food, ice cream and a taco bar.

Family Association Executive Committee-The FA is looking for new Executive Committee members for 2017.  If anyone is interested, it is a great way to become involved in the school.

Board Report

Board of Trustees President, Patti Wisnom, reported that the BOT is there to support the school and the team that runs it.  The BOT is excited about the increased enrollment.  She thanked the FA for how it supports students and staff in so many ways.

Head of School Update

Dr. Sherrill encouraged parents to join the Family Association as an Executive Committee member.  She feels they are an extension of the staff.  She reported that the BOT gave her the #1 priority of increasing enrollment.  Students are provided with more opportunity with a larger roll.  This year, there are 272 students.  The Administration is anticipating a much higher new and re-enrollment than in the past, for next year.  She is meeting with every 8th grade family herself.  They are projecting a 90-92% retention rate of 8th graders for high school and 10-15 new students.  Dr. Sherrill encouraged all to come to the Hawk Walk and to read The Gregorian Chant for insight into the school happeningsShe is proud to report that the BOT and staff have 100% participation in the Annual Fund.  The school would still like to raise another $25,000 for the Annual Fund.  She thanked all those who came tonight, as it was nice to see so many new faces.  She announced that the Poetry Out Loud competition is coming up and it is an exciting event.  The Farmyard expansion is nearing completion and this was all done through the Annual Fund.  She mentioned that the seniors are completing 60 hours of a Senior Internship in during the year.  She said to look out for a survey about Interim Week.  There are choices for each grade, as well as various costs outlined.  Students will be placed on a first come, first serve basis for this week.  Finally, she discussed the lunch program.  Currently, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chips and fruit are available for $3.  The administration is looking at options for next year.  It is challenging for an outside service to run a full service cafeteria and profit with a school of our size and current numbers who purchase lunch at school.  Dr. Sherrill visited Phoenix Country Day.  Their full lunch service includes a salad bar, a deli and 2 hot choices every day.  This is part of tuition, and therefore, lunch is included for every student.  She asked parents to give feedback if they are interested in this type of lunch program.

Announcements

-The Executive Committee is looking for new members for 2017/2018.  Anyone interested in a leadership position contributing towards the school community, please let any FA Executive Member know.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:45 p.m.

NEXT FA MEETING: THURSDAY, APRIL 13TH, 2017 AT 8:50 A.M.

In El Mirador Boardroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

January 12, 2017

November 17, 2016 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 7:44 pm

Family Association of The Gregory School

General Membership Meeting November 17, 2016

In attendance:   Paula Allen, Mary Babbitt,  Valerie Deitch,  Monika Gloesslein, , Gabrielle Gonzales, Julie Grounds,  Christina Maher,  Darcy Nagle-O’Brien, Lori Patton,  Ilene Quander, Rose Schneider,  Julie Sherrill, Sarajane Trier,  Patti Wisnom

Welcome and Introductions

The meeting was called to order at 8:54 a.m. by FA Co-President Christina Maher.   She welcomed all, introduced herself, and began introductions around the room.   Minutes from the September 2016 meeting were available for those in attendance to review.  A motion was made and passed to approve the minutes from the September meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer, Valerie Deitch, gave the treasurer’s report.   New income included new dues payments of $150, Shop and Give income of $193.73, Homecoming income of $7159.53 and Staff Appreciation donation income of $710.  Expenses included Shop and Give expenses of $470, Homecoming expenses of $7446.61, team support expenses of $62.95 and Staff Appreciation expenses of $770.  

Committee Reports

Homecoming-Chair Gabrielle Gonzales reported that Homecoming only cost the FA $287.08 while it was given a $1000 budget.   She thanked Treasurer, Valerie Deitch, for working so hard doing the accounting for it.  She also thanked volunteers for working so hard.  A new chair or co-chair is needed.  If you are interested, please contact any FA Executive Board member.  Gabrielle is happy to help.  Last but not least, she thanked faculty and staff for all the hard work and support they give to Homecoming.  She reminded parents of athletes that $100 per team is available for Winter sports parties.  Coaches appreciate parent assistance in planning.

Staff Appreciation– The Farmer’s Market is Tuesday, November 22nd.  Chair Andrea Mainman will be available at curbside from 7:30 a.m.  that day to take any donations.  There has been lots of response on Doodle Poll, but families can still sign up.  The next Teacher Appreciation event is a luncheon hosted by  7th and 10th parents on February 16th.  The reps chose to change the date because the holidays make planning difficult.  Thanks  was given to Rose Schneider, Darcy Nagle-O’Brien, and Elisabeth Contreras for creating an official raffle jar.  This was shown at the meeting.

Middle School Parent Reps– Co-chairs Darcy Nagle O’Brien reported on behalf of Co-chair Elisabeth Contreras.  Middle school reps and families have been busy hosting many events.   Few of these used FA funds.   5th grade mothers had a Mom’s Night Out, 5th grade had a party complete with a Haunted House.  This was student led as part of a genius hour project.  5th grade parents organized a taco bar for the students during interim week.  6th grade in conjunction with 11th grade hosted a Fall themed Staff Appreciation Lunch on October 26th.  The decorations and raffle baskets were gorgeous.  Food was catered by Trattoria Pina Italian Restaurant.  Ilene Quander reported that our teachers were very appreciative.  7th grade had a Saturday gathering at school.  They played kickball and Capture the Flag and had a delicious lunch with beef brisket all put on by rep Julie Grounds with help from rep Katie Belk-Arenas.  They did not use FA funds.  It was a very fun and perfect day.  It would have been nice if more attended.   The Goldberg/Esquibel family hosted a Halloween costume party at their home on October 28th for all 7th and 8th grade families.  There were fun games, food and a dance floor.  About 50 people attended.  No FA funds were used.  Elizabeth Goodwin and Fred Roberts host all middle school parents during the school dance.  It was pot luck with Hors d’ oeuvres, drinks and a fun chance to mingle with parents.

Upper School Parent Reps- It was reported that Chair Elizabeth Goodwin had e-mailed all US reps to spread the word about the upcoming Farmer’s Market, and sent another e-mail encouraging families to attend and sign up for shifts for Homecoming.  She reported that she received feedback that Homecoming was the BEST students have experienced to date.  It was a wonderful school event with great, exciting energy and activities.  She also thanked committee members and volunteers for their work.  Her report mentioned the various combined Teacher Appreciation events and said that hosting the middle school parents  pot luck style was fun, successful and enjoyable.

Hawk’s Pride- It was reported that Co-chairs Angie Goorman  and Cindy McDaniel are working on celebrating Winter sports athletes.  They would like to celebrate them in some of the same ways Homecoming recognizes Fall athletes.  This includes decorating lockers and giving US basketball some special focus.

Fine Arts-It was reported that Co-chairs Leslie Heros and Marie Maloney spend about $625 on the pasta dinner and two bake sales and made about $420 for the US Play.  They felt both the dinner and bake sales were very successful. Their next event is assisting with the middle school Fine Arts evening.  

Welcome Committee-It was reported that Chair Ginger Hunt is tracking unofficial, parent led activities which include entire grade levels, especially for the 5th and 6th grade classes.  She would like to pass on this information to future entry level classes.  It will hopefully set a tradition of planning grade level activities for future years.  Family activities, particularly at the 5th grade level with a smaller group, have been helpful in creating community.  Examples at 5th grade are Mom’s Night Out and meeting at Playformance for a Parkour class.  She is still looking for members for this committee.  It is a great way for working parents to participate.  

Winter Formal- Chair Sara Artzi found a venue.  It is top secret!  With some great negotiating, the committee got a super deal.  The venue is known for great food.  The committee would love some more members.  Former chair, Christina Maher, said she would love to have a winter event for middle school, perhaps snow-themed, as they do not have a Winter Formal.  

Shop and Give-Chair Christine Harland has updated the website with new Fry’s information.   Shop and give is a way to donate a percent of sales towards the Family Association for purchases you normally make.  There was discussion about how beneficial Basha’s/AJ’s program is for Shop and Give.   They donate 6% to the Family Association.  $5 re-loadable gift cards are still available for purchase.  You can ask any FA Executive Committee member for one.  Finally, there was discussion about other programs that might be available such as gift card purchase where vendors donate a percentage to the FA.

Board Report

Board of Trustees President, Patti Wisnom, thanked everyone who worked so hard to make Homecoming such a successful event.  She reported that two 7th graders, Karl Ramus and Chris Allen, along with Mr. Kraus came to the last BOT meeting.  They explained a mathematical formula to reach student enrollment goals.  She also reported that the school is stream-lining the enrollment process.  Finally, Cindy McDaniel and family hosted the first neighborhood event, giving parents, prospective parents, administration and BOT members an opportunity to connect in an informal setting.   

Head of School Update

Dr. Sherrill reported that there is lots of good work going on at The Gregory School.  She showed an exciting and touching video that was shown at Open House. The Administration is working on a family database that will essentially provide better customer service.  They are also developing electronic enrollment.  Her number one priority is increasing enrollment.  There are already 15 serious applications for 5th grade for 2017/18.  The entire Faculty/staff and BOT have all donated The Annual Fund.  They are working to get parents to participate.  80% of tuition goes to payroll/maintenance and the facility, so additional contributions are needed to fund so many of the special programs at TGS.  The Annual Fund year begins July 1st.  All donations are tax deductible.  Spring Interim Week will be connected to curriculum.  Grandparent’s Day was cancelled because with it being a Day 2, it was too hard to do it and retain the needed time for Day 2 classes.  When something like this is planned in the future, it will be on an Exploration Day.  

Announcements

-FA meeting dates are as follows:   1/12/17 and 4/13/17.   All parents are welcome and encouraged to attend.

-The Book Fair is November 21,22 and 28th.  Please visit it on the Library or on-line.

-The Executive Committee is looking for new members for 2017/2018.  Anyone interested in a leadership position contributing towards the school community, please let any FA Executive Member know.  

The meeting was adjourned at 9:56 a.m.

NEXT FA MEETING: THURSDAY, JANUARY 12TH AT 6 p.m.

In El Mirador Boardroom

 

November 14, 2016

September 15, 2016 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 8:40 pm

Family Association of The Gregory School

General Membership Meeting September 15, 2016

In attendance:   Paula Allen, Sarah Artzi, Mary Babbitt, Elizabeth Contreras,  Valerie Deitch, Randi Dorman, Bether Gerber,  Monika Gloesslein, , Gabrielle Gonzalez, Julie Grounds,  Christina Maher,  Andrea Mainman, Cindy McDaniel, Darcy Nagle-O’Brien, Lori Patton, Jonathan Pucciarelli, Ilene Quander, Cathryn Ramus, Crystal Royce, Rose Schneider,  Julie Sherrill, Laura Swenson, Sarajane Trier, Nicole Westmoreland,   Patti Wisnom

Welcome and Introductions

The meeting was called to order at 8:50 a.m. by FA Co-President Christina Maher.  She was thrilled to see so many parents at the meeting.  She welcomed all, introduced herself, and began introductions around the room.   Minutes from the August 2016 meeting were available for those in attendance to review.  A motion was made and passed to approve the minutes from the August meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer, Valerie Deitch, gave the treasurer’s report.   New income included new dues payments of $145 and Shop and Give income of $160.05.  Expenses included Registration Days expenses of $294.08 and miscellaneous expenses of $7.43.

Committee Reports

Homecoming-Chair Gabrielle Gonzales reported that Homecoming is Friday, Sept. 23 from 4 to 8:30 pm. Middle school flag football, upper school volleyball and upper school soccer are all part of the fun, along with games, inflatables, food and more! Homecoming is for all middle school and upper school families, relatives, friends and neighbors! Admission is free, and concessions and games are for sale. Homecoming is a fundraiser for our upper school and middle school student councils and clubs.  Anyone who would like to help decorate, please join the committee on campus on Sunday, September 18th at 4 p.m.

Staff Appreciation– Chair Andrea Mainman reported that November 22nd is the date of the Farmer’s Market.  She has donation letters available for if anyone would like to make or solicit larger donations.  A whole school sign-up will go out for the market.  Christine Harland agreed to make another beautiful Fall floral arrangement for it.

Middle School Parent Reps– Co-chairs Elisabeth Contreras and Darcy Nagle O’Brien reported that their parent meeting was a great success with every middle school grade having at least one representative.  Paula Allen commented that the meeting with inspiring and that the informative agenda with information for reps was very helpful.

Upper School Parent Reps- It was reported that Chair Elizabeth Goodwin was still looking for more 12th grade reps.  Other lists are being finalized.  She has sent an e-mail to reps to ask all parents at the grade level if they are interested.

Hawk’s Pride- Co-Chair Cindy McDaniel reported that the committee was working with the Homecoming committee to get ready for Homecoming.  She and Co-chair Angie Goorman have been working closely with some staff members to create “Hawk Pride” items.   Some items include “trading cards” with player’s name and number that could be used as “luggage tags” on their athletic gear bag.  They are also creating cards for games that have each player, number and position.  Therefore, attendees will know who they are cheering for.  There was two school spirit Exploration Friday this upcoming Friday.  Student will be able to make posters, bust through, etc.  19 Upper School students and 15 middle school students signed up.  They hope to have more of these in the future.

Fine Arts-Co-chairs Marie Maloney and Leslie Heros are planning to meet with Mrs. Bodden next week.

Welcome Committee-It was reported that Chair Ginger Hunt is looking for members to this committee.  It is a great way for working parents to participate.

Winter Formal- Chair Sara Artzi is currently looking at venues.

Shop and Give-Chair Christine Harland is working on updating copy and updating links on the website for Shop and Give.  She is creating a new web page and flyer.  Shop and give is a way to donate a percent of sales towards the Family Association for purchases you normally make.  Amazon, Mighty Nest and Basha’s/AJ’s participate in this.  Mighty Nest donates 15% back to the school.  For Basha’s/AJ’s, you can purchase a re-load card for $5.  The card actually has $5 credit on it.  Basha’s donates 6% to the Family Association.

Board Report

Board of Trustees member, Andrea Mainman, reported that the BOT went on a retreat last month.  They are developing a strategic plan and will be attending a lot of school events to get to know faculty and families.  They are always available for questions and feedback.

Head of School Update

Dr. Sherrill reported that they are looking for families to host gatherings across various areas of Tucson.  The purpose is to continue developing connections between parents and administration and it is a new way to introduce prospective parents to the school community.  Both the Larsen family and Cindy McDaniel families have offered to host these evenings.   If anyone else can host, please contact Sarajane Trier.  Dr. Sherrill expressed her condolences for Lori Patton who lost her father yesterday.  Mr. Kraus has challenged his math classes to develop a formula for the school to grow to 350 students by 2020.  Dr. Sherrill introduced Angela Vande Mheen as a guest speaker.

Guest Speaker, Angela Vande Mheen

Over 50% of students are involved in sports.   Athletics is celebrating big wins for Cross County and is also working towards expanding its fan base.  Ideas include middle school nights and treats for teams.

Announcements

-FA meeting dates are as follows:  11/17/16, 1/12/17 and 4/13/17.  The FA Exec Committee is going to have the January meeting in the evening.  All parents are welcome and encouraged to attend.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:55 a.m.

NEXT FA MEETING: THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17TH AT 8:50 a.m.

In El Mirador Boardroom

September 15, 2016

August 25, 2016 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 2:05 am

Family Association of The Gregory School

General Membership Meeting August 25, 2016

In attendance: Paula Allen, Sarah Artzi, Cathy Chavez, Elizabeth Contreras, Julia Conroy, Valerie Deitch, Sandra Garcia, Monika Gloesslein, , Elizabeth Goodwin, Angie Goorman, Christine Harland, Rebecca Knupe, Christina Maher, Darcy O’Brien, Lori Patton, Anne Pollack, Jonathan Pucciarelli, Ilene Quander, Sri Ramakumar, Bether Rothbecker, Crystal Royce, Rose Schneider, Julie Sherrill, Suzette Smith, Laura Swenson, Sarajane Trier, Dana Weant, Nicole Westmoreland, Patti Wisnom

 

Welcome and Introductions

The meeting was called to order at 8:54 a.m. by FA Co-President Christina Maher. She was thrilled to see so many parents at the meeting. She welcomed all, introduced herself, and began introductions around the room.   Minutes from April 2016 meeting were available for those in attendance to review. A motion was made and passed to approve the minutes from the April meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer, Valerie Deitch, gave the treasurer’s report. New income included due payments of $12003.51 and Shop and Give income of $160.05. Expenses included the All School Pot Luck, the 5th grade introduction party of $276.80, the 6th grade introduction party of $300, and Registration Days expenses of $52.92. She explained that when members have FA expenses, reimbursement forms are available in the FA box in Zeskind Hall.

Committee Reports

Homecoming-Christina Maher read the following report on behalf of Chair Gabrielle Gonzales: Homecoming 2016 is less than a month away! Homecoming is Friday, Sept. 23 from 4 to 9 pm. Middle school flag football, upper school volleyball and upper school soccer are all part of the fun, along with games, inflatables, food and more! Homecoming is for all middle school and upper school families, relatives, friends and neighbors! Admission is free, and concessions and games are for sale. Homecoming is a fundraiser for our upper school and middle school student councils and clubs, so come join in on the fun! It’s a great way to celebrate our students and families. We would love to have you join the Homecoming committee. Our next two meetings are this Friday, Aug. 26 at 10:30 and Friday, Sept. 9 at noon, both in the board room. A sign-up sheet will be going out electronically, seeking volunteers to make decorations, decorate the campus, sell hamburgers, take tickets, clean up and more. Volunteering is a great way to meet other families. See you at Homecoming 2016! Also… Team Support: Each middle school and upper school sports team receives $100 from the Family Association to help fund end-of-season parties. We rely on team parents to help organize the parties – anything from Eegees and pizza on campus after the final practice to an off-campus party that can be partially supported by the FA. Please email Gabrielle: gonzalesclan@comcast.net with any questions!

Staff Appreciation– Chair Andrea Mainman reported that due to budget constraints, this year the committee will only host 4 events and the Farmer’s Market. Staff members like food/lunches the best. At each lunch, there is a raffle drawn. There will be a meeting for the Farmer’s market in September. The dates for the lunches are as follows: 5th/12th-September 15, 6th/11th November 17th, 7th/10th January 17th, 8th/9th April 13th. November 22nd is the date of the Farmer’s Market.

Upper School Parent Reps- Paula Allen read the following report on behalf of Chair Elizabeth Goodwin: Being an US rep is a great way to stay in touch with TGS students and families and it is not a big time commitment. US reps help organize their grade’s parents in hosting monthly staff appreciation events. US reps also assist in reminding their grade’s parents and students about upcoming athletic, fine arts and other school events and encouraging everyone’s participation. We encourage 9th grade parent reps to organize a back to school event for families as this year kicks off those students’ high school experience. For the 10th and 11th grades, we encourage the reps to organize and end of year party. There are funds in the FA budget to put towards these gatherings. We are looking for US parent reps in all grades, but particularly in the 11th and 12th grades. There are sign-up sheets in today’s meeting and I encourage interested parents and guardians to sign up. If you have any questions please contact Elizabeth Goodwin at goodwinroberts@msn.com.

Middle School Parent Reps- Co-chairs Elisabeth Contreras and Darcy Nagle O’Brien reported that the purpose of reps is to bring families together, help with Teacher Appreciation Events, and focus on planning a great end of year party. They will have a parent rep meeting either September 7th or 8th. It is fun to get to know other parents by becoming a rep.

Hawk’s Pride- Co-Chair Angie Goorman reported that she and Co-chair Cindy McDaniel have developed many objectives and are considering many ideas for this committee. Objectives include increasing awareness of the student athlete with the parent/student community, improve identification of players by parents or fans, increase excitement about belonging to a team, increase funds going to Athletics, and increase game time excitement. Ideas to meet these objectives include kid’s signs, locker decoration in conjunction with Homecoming, creating team parent reps, make the Hawk mascot more visible, ‘celebrating’ game days, selling more ‘swag’, and pep rallies.

Fine Arts-Paula Allen read the following report on behalf of co-chairs Marie Maloney and Leslie Heros: Leslie and I are planning to meet with Mrs. Bodden and the other teachers soon. Below are the dates for the fine arts committe events. The school calendar has been updated to reflect some date changes. We will contact the volunteers who signed up during registration and any others who may have signed up after we meet with the teachers. Leslie and I are new to being committee chairs so please be bear with us. – US Fall Art Festival – (art, band, choir, dance, drama, photography) – Fri. Oct. 7 – 6:30pm, US Fall Play & Art Show – Thurs. & Fri. Oct. 27 & 28 – 7:30pm (we will be working in conjunction with Senior Night for volleyball), (AZ Thespian Conference – Fri. & Sat. Nov. 18 & 19 All Day), MS Expo, Art Show and Performances – Fri. Dec. 9 – 6:30pm, MS Spring Play – Feb. 17 – 7:00pm, AS Musical & Art Show – Thurs. – Fri. March 23 – 24 – 7:00pm & March 25 – 3:00pm, US Spring Art Festival – (art, band, choir, dance, drama, photography) – Fri. April 28 – 6:30pm, Family Association Dinner & MS Expo, Art Show, and Performances – Thurs. May 11 – 5:30pm.

Welcome Committee– Chair Ginger Hunt developed this committee and is working with the Development Office.

Winter Formal-Sara Artzi is the new Chair of Winter Formal. She reported that she is looking forward to planning it, the venue is a big surprise until close to the event, and please keep the venue a secret, if you hear. The Winter Formal is for 9th-12th grade students.

Shop and Give-Christine Harland volunteered to chair this committee at the meeting. Thank you, Christine! Shop and give is a way to donate a percent of sales towards the Family Association for purchases you normally make. Amazon and Mighty Nest participate in this. Mighty Nest donates 15% back to the school.

Board Report

Board of Trustees President, Patti Wisnom, welcomed Monika Gloesslein as a new board member. She reported that the next SIP will be called the Taste. We will not have this event until the 2017-2018 school year, giving the Committee another year to plan it well.

Announcements

-FA meeting dates are as follows: 9/15/16, 11/17/16, 1/12/17 and 4/13/17. The FA Exec Committee is going to have the January meeting in the evening. All parents are welcome and encouraged to attend.

-Parents can still sign up to be committee members.

-Parent and accountant Crystal Royce will be hosting a talk on all the aspects of the Arizona State Tax credit, Annual Fund and Corporate Tax Credit on Wednesday, September 7th at 5:30 p.m..

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:45 a.m. for Guest Speaker and Head of School Dr. Julie Sherrill.

NEXT FA MEETING: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15TH AT 8:50 a.m.

In El Mirador Boardroom

 

 

 

 

 

April 5, 2016

March 24, 2016 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 5:43 pm

Family Association of The Gregory School

General Membership Meeting March 24, 2016

In attendance: Paula Allen, Mary Babbitt, Katie Belk-Arenas, Kimberlyn Drew, Monika Gloesslein, Gabrielle Gonzales, Christine Harland, David Hazan, Ginger Hunt, Christina Maher, Cindy McDaniel, Sharon Norman, Catherine Rosenberg, Julie Sherrill, Lori Sumberg, Laura Swenson, Sarajane Trier, Lisa Wiedebush, Patti Wisnom

 

Welcome and Introductions

The meeting was called to order at 8:54 a.m. by FA Co-President Christina Maher. She welcomed all, introduced herself, and began introductions around the room.   Minutes from the February 2016 meeting were available for those in attendance to review. A motion was made and passed to approve the minutes from the February meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Christina Maher gave the Treasurer’s report on behalf of Valerie Deitch. New income included $255 in donations for Staff Appreciation. Shop N’ Give brought in $480.07, including $310.42 from Target, $127.65 from Amazon, and $42 from Basha’s. New expenses included $28.39 for checks for the FA account, $1500 for the Headmaster Discretionary Fund, and $767.34 for January and February Staff Appreciation events.

Committee Reports

Staff Appreciation- 5th and 6th grade hosted a Valentine Indian lunch in February, largely due to the generosity of Saffron Indian Bistro and parent contributions. 7th grade hosted an International luncheon after the meeting and 11th grade will host in April.

Sip-Sarajane Trier reported that the SIP netted about $25,000. The evening was fun and she has received lots of positive feedback. Attendees loved the duet with Dr. Sherrill and Daniel Rosenberg. They also loved that the event was on campus.

Upper School Parent Reps- Laura Swenson reported on behalf of Elizabeth Goodwin who wanted to thank the parent representatives who made phone calls about the SIP. It was a huge help and made a difference in attendance. 9th grade reps have planned a coffee and bagel get together for Friday, March 25th. 9th and 10th grade reps will begin planning an end of year party. The Senior reps are working hard on planning post-Graduation activities. Please refer to Grad Night (below) for more information.

Middle School Parent Reps-5th grade Parent Rep, Ginger Hunt, reported that 5th grade is visiting the Materials Recovery Facility to learn about recycling today. They spent interim week with 6th grade learning about challenges with water. Several 5th graders won awards at SARSEF and special thanks to Amie Bergersen for working so hard on these projects with the students at school. 6th grade is hosting an end-of-year gathering at the Belk-Arenas family home on April 23 from 1-4. 7th grade will also host a class party in April at the home of Ann McColgin. 8th grade will have a Spring party at the Jaggi family home. 8th graders enjoyed their L.A. interim week trip. Reps thanked the school for the opportunity they provide for our students.

Winter Formal-Chair Christina Maher reported that although the Winter Formal was over budget, it was very successful.   It is difficult to budget when ticket sales cannot be predicted. It is the best one she has chaired. The students who were there, thoroughly enjoyed the evening. This was evident as they gave it great reviews on the front page of The Gregorian Chant. She hopes attendance will continue to grow from this reception. She wants to carefully choose the day next year, as girls’ volleyball also had a tournament. Having it on a Sunday had its advantages, as the outstanding DJ even spent time up lighting the outside of MOCA. Students also enjoyed the snowball fight.

Fine Arts-The Spring Musical, Jesus Christ, Superstar, will have three performances starting on Friday, April 15th and ending with a matinee on Sunday, April 17th. There will be food trucks on the Friday and Saturday night and musical entertainment too. There will be cast and crew dinners during rehearsal the week before. There will be a Spring Music Concert and One Act play on April 27th and the Family Association BBQ and Middle School Production on May 12th. Many FA members acknowledged the fabulous and creative job Cathy Rosenberg and her committee has done celebrating and increasing attendance at Fine Art events this year.

Homecoming/Athletics-Homecoming 2016 will be Friday, September 23rd from 4-9 p.m. It is a fun event for all students and families and a wonderful volunteer opportunity for parents. There will be meetings beforehand for those who would like to help. The committee will continue the Middle School hide-a-Hawk tradition, but are looking for other ideas and would love some input. Some suggestions included a poster contest and/or making posters during a Friday rotation. Gabrielle reminded parents that the FA has money for team parties. Please contact the team coach if you are able to help plan for Spring team parties. It is a great help to coaches. The Hawk’s Pride committee is re-tooling for next year to increase game attendance. Next Fall, there will be a traditional Sport’s Night right after registration. This will give students and parents information about all the sports available and the general expectations, season dates, etc. The purpose is to increase communication about sports at TGS and increase participation. Game schedules for the various sports cannot be distributed then, as this requires co-ordination with many other schools and they have not been created.

Grad Night- Grad Night will be on May 20th. Planning a safe and fun evening for graduates has been a six year tradition at The Gregory School. This year, there will be a post-ceremony catered dinner at $12 per person, so that graduates may spend some time with guests before heading off to Grad Night. There will be a photo opportunity in front of The Gregory School banner and graduates will seal their time capsule. Senior parents are looking for volunteers for both the dinner and Grad Night. Senior parents themselves do not chaperone grad Night, so that students may enjoy the evening without their own parents present.  Parents of younger students and alumni often volunteer to help. Numerous shifts are available from 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. If you can help in any way, please contact Sharon Norman at 241-6648.

Board Report

Board of Trustees member, Patti Wisnom, reported that the Board of Trustees thanks parents who contributed to the SIP in any way. They very much appreciate anyone who planned, sponsored, donated, attended, purchased items, or helped. There is still time to donate to the Annual Fund which ends June 1st and use tax credits for The Gregory School tuition assistance program. The Board is continuing strategic planning.

Head of School Report

Dr. Sherrill reported that Interim Week was a great success. A video and blog will be released, sharing the experience with The Gregory School community. She thanked parents for the opportunity to teach our children and share these unique experiences with them during interim week. She announced that right now we have a lot of student successes to celebrate at The Gregory School, including the successes of the Mock Trial team, the Science Olympiad team, the Robotics team, the Physics team headed to Israel, award-winning students at SARSEF and Poetry Out Loud, and the Arizona State Middle School Chess Champion. She is continuing to meet with every student for lunchtime dessert to discuss their thoughts, experiences and ideas for The Gregory School. On April 15th from 4-5:30 p.m., The Gregory School is hosting a panel, The College Process:  Mythbusters, featuring admission office representatives from a number of colleges in a Q and A session.  There will be a number of food trucks to be on campus from 5 -7 that evening in anticipation of the 7 p.m. performance of Jesus Christ Superstar, so families can participate in both events. On April 16th, the Rocky Mountain Association of College Admission Counselors will be hosting a college fair with over 75 colleges at The Gregory School at 1 p.m. This event is open to the public. The Gregory School would like to become the college information center of Tucson.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:52 a.m. for guest speaker, David Hazan, who created Down for the Count, a mobile app that rewards distraction-free driving.

NEXT FA MEETING: THURSDAY, APRIL 21th at 8:50 a.m

In El Mirador Boardroom

 

March 21, 2016

February 11, 2016 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 5:45 pm

Family Association of The Gregory School

General Membership Meeting February 11, 2016

In attendance: Paula Allen, Mary Babbitt, Cathy Chavez, Katie Belk-Arenas, Kimberlyn Drew, Julie Grounds, Christine Harland, Ginger Hunt, Anne Jie, Cathryn Ramus, David Schindel, Julie Sherrill, Laura Swenson, Sarajane Trier, Patti Wisnom

 

Welcome and Announcements

The meeting was called to order at 8:50 a.m. by FA Vice-President Laura Swenson. She was filling in for FA Co-President Christina Maher who was out of town.   She introduced herself and began introductions around the room.   Minutes from the January 2016 meeting were available for those in attendance to review. A motion was made and passed to approve the minutes from the January meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Laura Swenson gave the Treasurer’s report on behalf of Valerie Deitch.   The Winter Formal brought in $2395.00 income and cost $3248.12. Shop N’ Give brought in $516.71.

Committee Reports

Staff Appreciation-10th grade hosted a successful soup lunch after the FA meeting in January. 5th and 6th grade hosted a Valentine Indian lunch after the meeting, largely due to the generosity of Saffron Indian Bistro. Thank you to Reema Jaggi for coordinating.

Sip-Sarajane Trier reported on behalf of Chair Andrea Mainman that tickets are on sale and can be purchased on-line. Parents are encouraged to attend and those in attendance were asked to encourage others to attend. The Sip will take place in El Mirador Gymnasium on March 2nd, 2016 from 5-8 p.m. and will include wine tastings with specialty food pairings and a silent Auction to benefit The Gregory School Scholarship Fund. Tickets are $40 for general admission and $30 for Alumni. Jon Rogers, owner of ‘Wines Without the Mystery’ chose some excellent wines and the committee enjoyed tasting them a few weeks ago. Auction items are still being accepted. Services and ‘experiences’ are always popular.

Upper School Parent Reps- The Senior parents are working hard on planning Grad Night. They are looking for volunteers for both the dinner and Grad Night. Senior parents themselves do not chaperone. They are also working on a time capsule. 9th grade reps are planning a coffee and bagel get together.

Middle School Parent Reps-5th grade Parent Rep, Ginger Hunt, reported that 5th grade math planned a Valentine day party for the 5th grade within a budget and then went shopping to purchase items. They also performed a puppet show as part of drama in 5th grade. The Middle School dance was well attended and several 6th and 7th parents got together at Harvest during the dance.

Winter Formal-Laura Swenson reported on behalf of chair Christina Maher the Winter Formal was a hit. The committee planned down to the very last detail to make it special for the students attending. They even had star-shaped ice cubes and changed water bottle labels to say ‘melted snow’. Dr. Sherrill shared that most students danced in groups and that the Student Council President invited a new, younger upper school student to join him. This encouraged others to welcome this student to join their friends. She is proud that our students are welcoming and friendly.

Fine Arts-There will be Middle School plays during Rotation 3 on Friday, February 12th. Students will also be reciting poetry from English classes. The entire middle school will attend to support each other. The Spring Musical, Jesus Christ, Superstar, will have three performances starting on Friday, April 15th and ending with a matinee on Sunday, April 17th.

Hawk Walk-The Hawk Walk will take place on Sunday, February 14th. 8-10 volunteers are still needed. Pancakes will be served afterwards. There will be a prizes that were designed and created in the Fab Lab.

Board Report

Board of Trustees member, Patti Wisnom, reported that the Board of Trustees is working on strategic planning. They are working to help support the exciting programs already around school like the Fab Lab and the Writing Center.

Head of School Report

Dr. Sherrill announced that the next Board of Trustees meeting will be on Science Night. This enables Board Members to circulate and enjoy the Science Night with Climatologist and Noble Peace Prize Winner, Jonathan Overpeck, Ph.D.  She announced that a team of 11th and 12th grade students will be participating in an International Physics Competition at the Weizmann Institute in Israel in April. Before being selected, using safe components, the team had to create an unbreakable safe and try to break into the safes created by other teams. The Gregory School team is one of only 5 teams from the United States attending.   In order to join the team, students had to submit a request. This is a wonderful example of student engagement.  Students are creating knowledge rather than just regurgitating knowledge.   She also stated that currently, the faculty is looking at research to engage girls’ interest in STEM and the Fab Lab. Finally, she explained that Spring Interim Week has been organized by grade level in the Middle School and by interest (cross-grade levels) in the High School. She also introduced guest speaker, Dave Schindel, Director of College Counseling.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:25 a.m. for guest speaker, Dave Schindel.

NEXT FA MEETING: THURSDAY, MARCH 24th at 8:50 a.m

In El Mirador Boardroom

 

 

January 24, 2016

January 14, 2016 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 4:36 pm

Family Association of The Gregory School

General Membership Meeting January 14, 2016

In attendance: Paula Allen, Mary Babbitt, Cathy Chavez, Monika Gloesslein, Gabrielle Gonzales, Christine Harland, Ginger Hunt, Christina Maher, Andrea Mainman, Bonnie Morf, Cathy Rosenberg, Julie Sherrill, Lori Sumberg, Laura Swenson, Sarajane Trier, Nicole Westmoreland, Patti Wisnom, Angela Vande Mheen

 

Welcome and Announcements

The meeting was called to order at 8:50 a.m. by FA Co-President Christina Maher. She began with a welcome and said she hoped all had great holidays with two weeks off of school. She introduced herself and began introductions around the room.   Minutes from November 2015 meeting were available digitally for those in attendance to review. A motion was made and passed to approve the minutes from the November meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Christina Maher gave the Treasurer’s report on behalf of Valerie Deitch. Another $75 was collected in dues, Fine Arts donated $240, and $3674.74 was collected for Staff Appreciation Holiday Gifting. The Executive Committee gave Student Council $750 for Gregory Day. Fine Arts had expenses of $311.40 and Staff Appreciation had expenses of $3654.74.

Committee Reports

Staff Appreciation-Co-chair Andrea Mainman reported that for December, the committee hosted an Oregano’s lunch and gave every staff member a crisp $50 dollar bill. The money was solicited via e-mail from parents. It was decided that this would be more appreciated than a cookie exchange. The staff has sent the committee many thanks. 10th grade hosted a soup lunch after the meeting. 5th and 6th grade will host a lunch on February 11th, largely due to the generosity of Saffron Indian Bistro. Thank you to Reema Jaggi for coordinating.

Sip-Chair Andrea Mainman reported that tickets are on sale and can be purchased on-line. Sponsorships packs and auction donation forms are also available on the website. Everyone can also register with Give Smart to bid on Auction Items. The committee is well into planning. There was a meeting January 15th. The committee is looking for someone to be in charge of decorations. This would entail researching and coordinating with party company to professionally decorate.   The Sip will take place in El Mirador Gymnasium on March 2nd, 2016 from 5-8 p.m. and will include wine tastings with specialty food pairings and a silent Auction to benefit The Gregory School Scholarship Fund. Tickets are $40 for general admission and $30 for Alumni. A question arose over the origins of the naming of the SIP. Dr. Sherrill said it is steeped in school tradition and at a recent conference she attended, there was discussion about how private schools are becoming the center of families’ community. Community events at school are important to host. There was some discussion of re-naming it in the future.

Upper School Parent Reps- The Senior Grad Night 4th Avenue Street Fair Car Parking Fundraiser made about $1300. The Saturday was incredibly cold, but the Sunday was successful. The parent reps did not do the Senior Countdown and are currently working on Grad Night plans. Other grades are planning events.

Middle School Parent Reps-5th grade Parent Rep, Ginger Hunt, reported that 5th grade had a snow-themed holiday party with games, treats, and a white elephant book exchange. She gave a special thanks to Illene Quander for stepping in and organizing such a wonderful holiday party. 5th grade also had a read-in with winter themed science experiments that week. They harvested from the garden plot and made homemade soup and are working on science projects in class for the science fair. Other grade are planning events for the Spring. Planning for the 5th/6th Teacher Appreciation Luncheon on Feb. 11th is underway. If you would like to help, please e-mail Paula Allen at pcallen4@gmail.com. An on-line sign-up will be sent out in the next couple of weeks.

Winter Formal-Chair Christina Maher announced that the Winter Formal theme is the Snowball. It is taking place at MOCA on January 17th and there will be chaperones and 2 security guards. Tickets are $45 each. Some students are going with dates, but most are going with friends. Satire Entertainment will provide the music/entertainment.   To encourage students, the committee hosted a hot chocolate, marshmallows and powdered donut stand at lunch. This was well received and enjoyed by all students. There was a special raffle for the students who bought tickets first.

Fine Arts-Chair Cathy Rosenberg reported that there will be a Middle School play during Rotation 3 on Friday, February 12th. The Spring Musical, Jesus Christ, Superstar, will have three performances starting on Friday, April 15th and ending with a matinee on Sunday, April 17th. Although it is a whole school musical, it is mostly regarded as an Upper School musical with opportunities to participate for middle school students. Middle school students will have opportunities to be involved through Friday Rotations, if their schedules do not allow them to attend after school rehearsals. The Upper School Arts Festival will be on April 27th. There will be entertainment and baked goods. So far this school year, the committee has realized it is best to try to involve parents whose children will be involved,to plan events. The pre-show entertainment and professionally catered food have been the biggest hits. The cookie contest at the Middle School Expo night was also a huge success.

Athletics- Gabrielle Gonzales reminded everyone that every team gets $100 (teams of 14 or less) to $125 (teams larger than 14) for end-of-season parties. These funds come from the Family Association.  It is a good time to start planning for Winter sports parties. It is helpful for parents to plan these parties on behalf of busy coaches.  Please collect receipts and submit them to the FA for reimbursement.

Board Report

Board of Trustees member, Andrea Mainman, reported that the Board of Trustees will be meeting next week to discuss strategy.

Head of School Report

Dr. Sherrill acknowledged and celebrated the accomplishments of Sarjane Trier, Director of School Advancement. She has created a new Viewbook and published TGS Matters which will be distributed twice a year in both hard copy and electronic formats. She also helped assure we were part of the Winter Edition of Biz Tucson. This includes 2000 copies of a pull out that The Gregory School can use in the community and recruitment. Dr. Sherrill, once again, thanked Gabrielle Gonzales for introducing this opportunity.   Finally, Ms. Trier is connecting with Alumni and telling their stories.

 

Guest Speaker- Ms. Angela Vande Mheen, Director of Athletics and Physical Education

Dr. Sherrill introduced Ms. Angela Vande Mheen and introduced a new physical fitness/well-being program that is going to begin next school year. Currently, 10th-12th graders have no P.E. requirement. This new program would entail all 10th -12th graders developing a plan with their Advisors on how to incorporate some physical activity. This does not necessarily mean adding P.E. into their schedule. It could be met outside school too. It could be also met through a school sport or met through a new intermural program that will be offered.   Students could also develop individual, rather than team, sports skills or work on physical conditioning to meet this requirement. It could also be met through Friday Rotations, as more physical programs will be offered. Fit at the River is currently doing a Friday Rotation now. Overall, the expectation will be about a trimester worth of physical fitness/activity over the course of the school year. This plan was well-received by parents, particularly parents whose older high students do not engage in any physical activity. They also discussed the Spring Sports Banquet set for April 21st. This will reconnect with an old tradition and will celebrate the athletes who dedicate so much time to playing sports at The Gregory School. Finally, Ms. Vande Mheen explained the Hawk Walk. It will take place Sunday, February 14th. This is a fundraiser for the Athletic Department. There will be a 5K race along the river and a 1-mile fun run on campus. Entry fees are $25 for 5K and $20 for 1-mile per person. It includes a T-shirt (if entered by February 4th) and a pancake breakfast. Help is needed on race day and beforehand. Some volunteers are needed for pack pick up on Friday, February 12th from 3:45 to 5:45 p.m.   There will be a meeting with pizza on Friday, February 12th from 6-7 p.m. for race day volunteers. Check-in will start at 7:30 a.m on race day. Volunteers will also be needed to stuff goodie bags, prior to race day.   Information will be e-mailed to families about the race and volunteer opportunities.

Announcements

-Mary Babbitt distributed to those in attendance a 2016-17 Calendar preview.

-Amie Bergersen announced that Science Night is Wednesday, February 17th from 5-8:30. The keynote speaker is Climatologist and Noble Peace Prize Winner, Jonathan Overpeck, Ph.D. There will also be breakout sessions with scientists, over 100 student science exhibits, stargazing and Food Trucks for dinner. This evening is open to the public

-Open House is Sunday, January 31st for prospective 5th -11th grade students and families.

-High School Boys Basketball is playing at McKale Stadium on Monday, January 18th.   Tickets are $6 per person. Please come and support the Hawks!

The meeting was adjourned at 10:10 a.m.

NEXT FA MEETING: THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 11TH at 8:50 a.m

In El Mirador Boardroom

 

 

 

November 29, 2015

November 19, 2015 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Filed under: Meeting Minutes — Family Association @ 6:41 pm

Family Association of The Gregory School

General Membership Meeting November 19, 2015

In attendance: Paula Allen, Mary Babbitt, Tamar Bergantino, Cathy Chavez, Gabrielle Gonzales, Christina Maher, Jeniifer Ollman, Ilene Ovander, Lori Patton, Cathryn Ramus, Catherine Sharp, Laura Swenson, Julie Sherrill, Sarajane Trier, Patti Wisnom

 

Welcome and Announcements

The meeting was called to order at 8:55 a.m. by FA Co-President Christina Maher. She began with a welcome and said she was happy to see all here today. She introduced herself and began introductions around the room.   Minutes from the October 2015 meeting were available for those in attendance to review. A motion was made and passed to approve the minutes from the October meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

The Treasurer’s report was not available due to illness. When it is ready, Christina Maher will make it available via e-mail.

Committee Reports

Upper School Parent Reps- Paula Allen reported on behalf of Chair Elizabeth Goodwin. 10th grade is looking to February to hold a 10th grade gathering. The Seniors went to California, including Disneyland, the beach, and the Getty Museum for their Senior trip. The reps prepared them a sweet treat to mark 200 days until Graduation. Reps are working on treats for finals and Grad Night plans.   They will have their Grad Night Fundraiser December 10-12. An alumni parent kindly offers his parking lot during the 4th Avenue Street Fair. Cars can park for $5. Proceeds go towards Grad Night. A sign up will be sent out school wide for student and parent volunteers. Last year, this made $3500 for Grad Night. Hawk hats are still available for $20. They might make a great teacher gift.

Middle School Parent Reps- Paula Allen reported on behalf of Chair Burcak Tolan. 5th grade had a successful Halloween Party in the 5th grade classroom. 6th grade is considering hosting a Winter family event. 7th grade had a successful Halloween Party on October 30th at Rachael’s house. 8th grade had a wonderful Halloween Party at the Belk-Arenas Family home with Vero Amore food truck catering. Thank you to the Belk-Arenas family for hosting.

Staff Appreciation-Co-chair Andrea Mainman reported that the Farmer’s Market will take place Tuesday, November 24, 2015. The Farmer’s market is an event that takes place before Thanksgiving that gives faculty and staff the opportunity to ‘shop’ for their Thanksgiving celebration. All the items are donated by Gregory School families and are beautifully set up like a traditional Farmer’s market by the Committee. Items available include vegetables, breads, pies, fruits, cheeses, soaps and much more. The committee will be re-sending out the Doodle Poll to solicit donations of items and cash contributions, as many more items are still needed. Reusable bags for the staff have been provided by Nova Home Loans. Thank you to Judy Berman who is providing specialty cheeses to the entire staff, Burcak Tolan who is providing specialty breads to the entire staff, Christine Harland who is creating a silk floral arrangement centerpiece that will be raffled off. The committee will host a holiday cookie exchange on December 10th. They will need cookie donations from families. Staff will be able to choose holiday cookies to bring home from a decorated cookie buffet.

Athletics/Hawks Pride –Christina Maher reported on behalf of Toni Zlaket. The committee is working on ways of recognizing athletes in the school. Homecoming did a wonderful job of that for the Fall. They had been waiting for the new design/logo before purchasing ‘swag’. They hope to purchase spirit/rally towels to use for all sports soon. Remind.com has not been very successful thus far. The committee will resend the information. It might have gone to some people’s spam. There were lots of great Fall Sports parties. Every team gets $100 (teams of 14 or less) to $125 (teams larger than 14) for parties funded by the FA. It is helpful for parents to plan these parties on behalf of busy coaches.  Please collect receipts and submit them to the FA for reimbursement.

Fine Arts-Cathy Chavez reported on behalf of Chair Cathy Rosenberg that the Upper School Arts Festival was a wonderful evening. The pre-performance festivities were lots of fun and it was a great community building event. The 5th grade and Middle School Expo will be on December 10th. Many events are planned for the evening by the teachers. The Fine Arts Committee will provide refreshments and sponsor a student/parent cookie contest with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes. Middle School teachers will be judges.

Sip-Chair Andrea Mainman reported that tickets are on sale and can be purchased on-line. Sponsorships packs and auction donation forms are also available on the website. Everyone can also register with Give Smart to bid on Auction Items. Jon Rogers, an alumni uncle, and owner of Wines Without the Mystery will pair and bring in all the wine through Plaza Liquors. He has numerous contacts within the community of wine purveyors that he will be inviting to the Sip. Gabrielle Gonzales suggested listing the Sip on a website that lists wine/food events. Catherine Sharp reported that she has compiled a list of previous Auction donors from several old lists and they will begin contacting them. If anyone knows of a potential donor and do not want make contact yourself, you can let Catherine know via the website e-mail. Also, if anyone knows a previous donor and would like to be the one to make contact, also let them know. Anyone can solicit donations.   The committee has already received donations. The Sip will take place in El Mirador Gymnasium on March 2nd, 2016 from 5-8 p.m. and will include wine tastings with specialty food pairings and a silent and live Auction to benefit The Gregory School Scholarship Fund. Tickets are $40 for general admission and $30 for Alumni.

Shop and Give-Chair Catherine Sharp has worked to streamline the entire Shop and Give program. Business cards with needed information are now available for Office Max and Office Depot. These were distributed during the meeting. She reminded everyone to sign up for Amazon Smile before holiday shopping. Basha’s/AJ’s gives 6% back to the school. Participants have to purchase a reloadable card from the store and then reload and use before shopping. It is a bit complicated, but hugely beneficial to the school.

Winter Formal-Chair Christina Maher announced that the Winter Formal is January 17th. Ticket sales will kick off on January 4th.

Board Report

Board of Trustees member, Andrea Mainman, reported that the Board is grateful for the talents of Merle Henkel. The school is now looking at Finances proactively.

Sarajane Trier also announced that Annual Fund information and Scholarship Tax Credit information will be coming arriving in the mail soon. Both are essential to bettering the school.

Guest Speaker-Ms. Lori Patton, Director of Middle School Student Services

Dr. Sherrill introduced Lori Patton as someone who has been pivotal in bringing the Middle School and Upper School together. She is wonderful at working and collaborating with the entire Faculty.   Lori Patton discussed some key features to the current Middle School Program. She gave examples of Friday Rotations including a field trip with LEAD Athletics, sewing with Ms. Heald, trust ‘falls’ in the Middle School, and Rotations with students as teachers, such as learning magic tricks. Advisory lunches on Wednesday are popular with students and give Advisories and Advisors a chance to get to know each other better. Clubs in the Middle School are driven by student interest and continue to be popular. Chess is hosting their 3rd tournament on Saturday. Hosting gives others a chance to see our campus. She also shared Middle School experiences from Interim Week. Finally, Middle School students enjoyed Homecoming Spirit Week, Upper School Game Night and the Middle School Fall Dance this year.

Head of School Report

Dr. Sherrill reported Faculty is in the midst of planning second semester Friday Rotations and Spring Interim Week. Friday Rotations are continuing to evolve. They have been successful at turning kids on to certain topics of interest. An example would be the development of Chemistry Innovations, based on the Upper School Science Department acknowledging that students wished they had more innovative Chemistry Lab time. Spring Interim Week information will be available soon, so that families will know what to financially plan for. Dr. Sherrill announced that The Gregory School will be featured in the Winter edition of Biz Tucson. She thanked Gabrielle Gonzales for introducing this opportunity.   There is still a last minute chance to advertise in this well-distributed quarterly publication.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 a.m.

NEXT FA MEETING: THURSDAY, DECEMBER 10TH at 8:50 a.m

In El Mirador Boardroom

 

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress